Here is a fun and versatile Spice Popcorn Recipe!
We give you the ingredients and the directions AND we give you some ideas for modifying the recipe with different seasonings! This is a great snack because it is both inexpensive and easy to make and is terrific for the ball game, a movie or even as a low calorie desert.
Yes popcorn really is low calorie and healthy as long as you don’t drown it in too much butter, oil or salt…or chocolate topping which I do sometimes.
- 1/2 cup of corn kernels OR you can use one bag of popped microwave popcorn (Yeah the 1/2 cup of kernels is 16 cups and the microwave bag is 12 cups. Close enough. This is Not rocket science).
- 2 tbs vegetable oil (if you are popping kernels on the stove)
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- To pop the popcorn in your popcorn maker
- Follow the popcorn maker manufacturers directions and do not add any seasoning in the popcorn maker bowl.
- To pop the popcorn on the stove
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot on a burner set to medium-high heat.
- Add the corn kernels and cover the pot.
- Shake the pot every 15 seconds on the stove once it has started to heat up for a minute or two.
- Stop and remove from the burner when the popping slows down to 1 pop every 3 – 5 second
- To Pop a bag of microwave popcorn in the Microwave
- Remove the clear plastic bag that is often on the outside of the microwave bag of popcorn.
- Place bag in the microwave and BE CAREFUL to put the right side up!
- Turn the microwave on high and pop for 3 – 5 minutes. If your microwave does not have a rotating table it may help to take the bag out and shake it every minute.
- Remove from the microwave after popping slows to 1 pop every 4 or 5 seconds
- CAREFUL opening the bag there can be burning hot gas inside!
More Seasoning Ideas
For more seasoning ideas you can click on this link to read our article on Seasoned Popcorn Recipes. Towards the end there is a list of 10 different seasoning ideas you can try!